Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Anchor Charts for Writing

If you would've asked me my thoughts about using anchor charts in the classroom a few years ago, I would've said something along the lines of them being more appropriate in a primary room--not so much 4th or 5th grade. I've come to learn that anchor charts are just as necssary in intermediate classrooms--and may even be more beneficial--than in a primary room! Anchor charts are very big in my school and the students here have learned to look for them in their classrooms over the years. My students in the past couple years really rely on these charts and I am always pleased to see a student referring to one when they are working independently. As usual, Pinterest has an adbundance of anchor chart ideas and I have chosen some of those ideas to use in my classroom. Here are a few of our favorites for writing (along with a link to show you where the inspiration came from in the first place!):
These are two of the first charts we do together during our Launching Writer's Workshop unit. Plus, they are just fun charts to have hanging up in a classroom. My students were impressed with my drawings. The inspiration for both charts can be found at Life is Better Messy Anyway.

As we began the writing process for our first piece, we read the book, Little Monster Becomes an Author, and then created the following chart to help us through the process. I made color copies of the pages to add to the chart. It's quickly become my favorite writing chart and we will use it ALL the time! The original post about it can be found here.

When I got to the revising and editing minilessons, we made the final chart below. The inspiration came from Confessions of a 4th Grade Teacher. I've been teaching for just about 10 years and NEVER heard of these acronyms--they are genius!

I think it's safe to say that using anchor charts has changed my classroom!

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found the ARMS/CUPS useful!! I definitely have found them helpful with 4th graders! Welcome to blogland!!

    Tammy
    Confessions of a Fourth Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful writing resources. Thanks so much for sharing. :)

    Antoinette and EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in LUV with these charts! Thank u 4 sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great charts! I'm finally starting up a writers workshop model and I am so glad to have found your post with wonderful ideas! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete